NCAA Probation and Major College Basketball
After a conversation with yet another UL fan about how crooked UK has been in it’s history, I decided to do a little research to see exactly who has the most years put on probation. We can’t deny the moments in UK history that we found ourselves at odds with the NCAA, but, the amount of press that UK has received often slants the views and perspective of the uninformed fans. If we look at the top 10 in terms of years put on probation of major programs, you might be surprised who made the list. There are 20 programs that have 7 or more years put on probation. Just about every school has some kind of probation in their past. This list was completed in 2011.
1. Minnesota – 12 years on probation
2. Kansas – 10 years on probation
3. Cincinnati – 9 years on probation
3. Memphis – 9 years on probation
3. UNLV – 9 years on probation
6. NC State – 8 years on probation
6. Florida State – 8 years on probation
6. Louisville – 8 years on probation (one year self imposed post season ban)
8. Baylor – 7 years on probation
8. Illinois – 7 years on probation
8. Wisconsin – 7 years on probation
UK is on the outside looking it of these 20 programs with 7 or more years with 6 years. Nothing to write home about, but, a far cry from the public opinion about Kentucky being “the dirtiest program” ever.
The next time a UL fan acts holier-than-thou, just point them to their true Top 10 list. For more information you can visit the official NCAA Probation List for Division 1 Schools.